Apr 15, 2011

Welcome Baby Thomas!

 Thomas Joseph
April 12, 2011
7lbs.5oz. 19in. 
...and very excited and proud big brother!!!
To all who wished me a speedy delivery, Dad is a little bitter with you!  Why, you ask?  It was a quick one!  
The baby didn't give us much warning, although I thinking back I'm pretty sure he'd been trying to tell us something for over a week.  He decided to wake me up on Tuesday morning at 4am...maybe even a few minutes after.  I called my doctor and he said to head over to the hospital to get checked and he'd meet me there if he needed to.  By the way- St. Claire's in Denville was our hospital.  We left our house about 4:40 and the contractions were already pretty bad and only about a minute or two apart.  I still have no idea how they went from 10 minutes to 1 or 2 minutes quite as quickly as they did.  About a mile from home I started to get a little worried...
WE HAD A 45 MINUTE RIDE TO THE HOSPITAL!!!
As Joe sped(like really speeding, flashing people off the road, and running every red light we came to) through Long Valley, then Chester, then Mount Olive I decided there was absolutely no way I was going to make it to Denville.  He pulled a quick turn off route 206 and our new destination was Hackettsown Hospital..........
and the truth is I was crossing my fingers I'd even make it to that one.  As we screeched up to the ER door at 5:00am, Joe dashed out of the car to alert the staff.  They must have thought he was an over exaggerating husband with a first-time pregnant, over dramatic wife because nobody moved.....well they moved, just not very fast.  I managed to get from the car door to a bench less than 10 feet away.  Joe helped me in the ER door.  They took one look at me and realized that I was definatly for real.  The nurse wheeled me up to labor and delivery asking a million questions.  I only answered the ones that I didn't have to speak the answer to..."what baby is this?  did your water break?".  We got upstairs and the midwife introduced herself...YES, A MIDWIFE!!!  Great.  Nothing wrong with a midwife- just a little too "o-natural" for my taste.  What if there were complications?  What if I needed a c-section?  What if she made me listen to some speech about how awful epidurals are for the baby?  What if she only believed in water birth...or made me sit on some crazy birthing ball???
The furthest thought I got to was "what......." because the baby was born already....and Dad was still downstairs checking me in.  
So to recap, I woke up at 4am.  We left home by 4:40am.  We got to Hackettstown at 5am.  Thomas was born at 5:09am.  
Most of me thanks all of you "speedy birth" wishers.  It was great.  Nothing to think about.  No decisions to make.  
But with that said, there was also nobody to hold my hand.
I have to go tend to my children now.  I'll try to get back soon to share with you how that's going...holy cow!  Two littles!  
My new hope is that when I call to schedule my 6 week check up, the receptionist will present me with the contact info for the "in-home helper" my insurance provides for the next few months.  No?  It doesn't work that way?

 




No comments:

Post a Comment